Monday, October 16, 2006

TV Ratings

Two months ago my wife and I moved into our first home. The whole experience, including the hand cramps at closing, was great. The loading, unloading, packing, and unpacking... the, “Put it there… no there... mmm how ‘bout over there?”… I enjoyed the whole experience. That is, until the afternoon came when I wanted to see if my Astros won. How empty I felt when I realized that I was completely without TV or internet for the next few days (I hadn’t yet called to have cable installed and I didn’t have any rabbit ears). Life without TV, I’m sad to say, was hard.
Recently, I've crossed paths with a number of individuals who live life without the use of a television. Or, if they have one, it often remains as unused as wedding china. Still, they all seem to have a few common elements in their lives that, I have to admit, are appealing to me. First, they all seem live life just a little more carefree, they enjoy more time outside, and enjoy not caring that they missed the premiere of some new sitcom. Perhaps its because they don’t endure the same indoctrinating news and programming where the key message is always fear with vivid scenes of “what could happen to you”- I don’t know, just a thought. Secondly, it seems right to me that TV is not an integral part of the human lifestyle… but (sigh) I’d have to say that it is in mine and not in theirs. To this small community of those who are sans boob tube, life with out TV causes them not to want, but to feel content. Lastly, I’ve noticed how much better control they have of time and responsibilities… control that I could only hope for. So the copycat in me has begun to consider if we could live that way too.
Could I really consider doing without TV for the sake of experiencing a life that I’ve never known? Would I benefit? Is there a middle ground or a compromise? Or is it even possible – is it too much a part of my life already? Who knows? Maybe I’ll figure it out in a few minutes after I’m done watching Seinfeld.

4 comments:

joshua said...

Geez, it's sad to say but i'm not sure I could live that life. If I could count the countless hours i've spent in front of the mind control box called TV on one hand, that would be such an accomplishment, unfortunately I don't think there are enough fingers in the world to count up the hours. Hmmmm, i've got some thinking to do......

Melissa Clouthier said...

Dude,
Come to the dark side. We've been without TV and cable for five years. It took us a good three to be completely expunged of the habit.

I bought Steve a flat screen, but we only use it for sports and watching a DVD here and there.

You won't believe how much time is spent in front of the tube. We feel liberated!

That's not to say TV doesn't have its fun parts. But being without it, I realized how much time is wasted with commercials and I resent them. If we got cable again, we'd have to get TiVo.

As a friend said: with TiVo, the TV is a slave to me. Without it, I'm a TV slave.

Claudia said...

Yep I agree. I got rid of TV, and my TV habits, when I went to college and since then, really, have been sans TV and I agree life is more calm and productive and carefree and sans putting junk in my head. Not ot mention active. Since I moved to LA however my roomate already ahd Tivo, and i must say I love it. As an actor I have to watch TV now(its a pain for me since I HAVE to do it, no really, I was just fine wihtout) to keep up with ym industry but I just record the showsi want and then watch them maybe when I have time.

nolanlc said...

Are there those out there who would like to reduce or cut out TV watching altogether? My family has done it in the past and wondered how we ever found time to watch it in the first place! However, it has crept back into our lives and now takes up far too much of our time. I would like to spend as much or more time in God's Word as I do watching TV. Which has a greater influence on my life? A question I find myself pondering a lot lately. Please pray for me as I seek to make changes in my use of the time God has blessed me with here on this earth.